NCSD offers a wide variety of professional development opportunities for employees to help them learn and grow professionally. This includes learning opportunities such as new employee orientation, new faculty mentoring, ongoing professional learning, compliance training and job-required training such as Mandt, CPR/AED, and OSHA. In addition, some of these opportunities are offered for Professional Teaching Standards Board (PTSB) and/or enrichment credit.
Professional Learning Courses and Training
NCSD courses and trainings are listed online and participants register online as well.
Please visit our Online Course Catalog through Professional Learning and log in with your Active Directory information (firstname#### and 12 character password) for job required trainings (Mandt, CPR, ABD, OSHA, etc.) as well as course offerings in NCSD. District Employees can also find Professional Learning in their Clever Portal.
Current Opportunities for Professional Development
- Casper College Continuing Education Catalog - Find Casper College's opportunities for Community Education and Workforce Training and Development.
- 2021 K-12 Art Integration Conference - Full STEAM Ahead this free conference taking place at Casper College is designed to deepen student learning.
- UW Literacy Research Center and Clinic Virtual Event - Reading and Writing Across the Academic Disciplines - Each speaker will pre-record their session and the group will listen together. Speakers will be available after their presentation to engage in a follow-up discussion and field questions from attendees.
- Solution Tree: Make it Happen - Throughout the three sessions, learning will be focused on: the three big ideas of a PLC; how teams investigate the role of coaches and leaders in a PLC; exploring ways to build the culture that supports all students learning at high levels; exploring the role of common assessments in supporting students; and discussing ways teams can extend student learning when they've already reached proficiency.
- Jan Hoegh Book Study: Planning and Teaching in the Standards-Based Classroom - Join this six-session book study to learn about how to effectively use proficiency scales for planning and instruction in the standards-based classroom. Participants will be studying and discussing a new book by Jan K. Hoegh and co-authors Jeff Flygare and Tammy Heflebower entitled "Planning and Teaching in the Standards-Based Classroom." Each webinar will address one chapter in the book.
- MTSS Universal Screening at the University of Wyoming - Universal screening is a systematic process that uses appropriate measures for identifying students who may be at risk for poor learning outcomes. Within this training, participants will learn the purpose and benefits of screening within MTSS. Participants will develop an efficient and valid screening process to identify at-risk students.
- Wyoming Education Summit - State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jillian Balow, is excited to announce the 2021 Wyoming Education Summit, "Pursuing Excellence Together; Moving Forward." This conference will bring together Wyoming professionals in education to share knowledge and expertise on social-emotional learning, education leadership, instruction, virtual learning and moving forward with hope, grit, and collaboration.
- MTSS Universal Screening Virtually - Universal screening is a systematic process that uses appropriate measures for identifying students who may be at risk for poor learning outcomes. Within this training, participants will learn the purpose and benefits of screening within MTSS. Participants will develop an efficient and valid screening process to identify at-risk students.
- Nurturing Speaker Growth - This two-part eWorkshop is designed to support all K-12 educators who would like to explore the connection between the ACCESS Speaker Test and classroom practices that promote ways to nurture student's speaking growth. The eWorkshop is a self-paced module that allows for choice and control. Participants will be asked to speak and share ideas with colleagues within the virtual event.
- DRIVE: Developing Rewarding Integrated Vocational Experiences - A Paraprofessional Training - This training is funded by Perkins V, and will be conducted by Zenith Business Services, DRIVE training will promote the tools needed by paraprofessionals and job coaches to develop work readiness skills, job development with local employers, and job coaching with students, as they begin to work in new positions in your community. The training is open to individuals who work with CTE students and local employers and is free of charge.
- Jan Hoegh: Determining what Students Need to Know - In standards-driven classrooms, the amount of content students are expected to know is often overwhelming. Proficiency scales can support teachers in organizing and delivering instruction, assessment, and feedback so that students clearly understand what they need to know and be able to do. In this session, Jan K. Hoegh outlines how K-12 teachers can effectively create and utilize proficiency scales during instruction to improve teaching and learning.
- Wyoming Innovations in Learning Conference - The Innovations in Learning Conference is an opportunity for educations from kindergarten through higher education to share and explore innovative teaching and learning practices for classrooms and distance learning environments.
Opportunities for Professional Development in NCSD
- ASCD Online Courses: Online courses (ASCD) are offered free to NCSD staff through the Wyoming Department of Education's Canvas system. Please go to wde.catalog.instructure.com to see what is available, put NCSD in their search bar to find our courses. *Statewide Courses: NCSD does offer its ASCD courses to non-district participants. Those courses are included in the online course catalog at WDE.
- Education Enrichment through the University of Wyoming: WyoLearn opportunities. Please check to ensure that the opportunity is available to you as an option, as there are some that are specific to other districts only.
- Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board: PTSB Professional Development
- Upcoming Workshops already approved through PTSB as of 7/14/21
- Wyoming Department of Education: WDE Professional Development
- PD opportunities through External sites (you will need to see if they meet PTSB's criteria for renewal or our criteria for salary upgrades)
The district offers a three year mentoring program in support of new certified faculty. For details and content related to the NCSD Mentoring Program please visit the NCSD Mentors website here.